Sunday, August 21, 2011

Elgin American Compact Treasure!

Last month I went antique shopping for the first time in a long, long while.  I stumbled across a compact mirror with two leaping gazelles on it.  I really liked the design, even though I didn't decide to buy it until last-minute.  My guess would be late '40s, early '50s, but I'm no expert.  What do you think?

 

 It was only $2 because the mirror inside is cracked.  When I got it home, I found out that it is an Elgin American.  I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on the company; I've heard of Elgin Watch Company but I don't know if it is associated with the makers of the compacts.

 
The center is stamped "Elgin American" in elegant lettering.  The powder puff would go here...


And the powder goes here!

I was thinking about restoring it, and replacing the mirror.  But I like it so much, maybe it is best to just leave it the way it is.  Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I found the same one i polished it and i am thinking about giving it as a gift min dosnt have leaping gazelles it has like flowers and swirls but it is a nice piece.Good luck with yours i think i would replace the mirror.Wonder where you could find makeup for it.

    ReplyDelete